Research by Dr. Carmona can be found under the citation Carmona S.
Dr. Carmona is a graduate from the Maternal-Fetal Medicine Fellowship Program of the University of Toronto, he also has a deep interest and passion for Health Informatics. He's the Director of Medical Informatics at Sinai Health System since January 2017, where his work has been focused in driving and assisting in the development, implementation and maintenance of strategic multi-disciplinary and multi-year plans for IT as well as leading clinical information technology initiatives. Also, allowing the Integration of research, quality improvement, patient safety and clinical education in the electronic health record architecture and workflows for Obstetrics and Gynaecology as well as for other areas and specialties.
As adjunct lecturer, Dr. Carmona has also been responsible for:
- Teaching Medical Informatics topics to postgraduate trainees.
- Teaching students on pregnancy-related topics.
- Assisting trainees with clinically-related audit and research tasks when based at Sinai Health System.
Areas of Interest:
- Implementation of SNOMED CT as medical terminology in the electronic health record for both enabling meaningful use and improving clinical documentation workflow and accuracy, enabling decision support systems and optimizing funding.
- Research and development of customized user interfaces in the electronic health record to improve user compliance and clinical documentation workflows.
- Determining the impact of documentation and coding on hospital funding, statistics and patient-care, and identifying methods for improving clinical documentation.
- Implementation of clinical decision support tools in the electronic health record at the clinical documentation or CPOE levels in order to enhance decision-making in the clinical workflows.